October 2021 marks 15 years since I first flew from New York to Rome for my “one year abroad”. Here’s a short and definitely abbreviated list of 15 things I’ve achieved or learned in my professional life over this incredible phase – in no order.
- Re-established my Studio in a new town
- Became totally fluent in Italian – with special help from my Italian husband Mauro
- Adapted to the Roman attitude… yet will always be Newyorkese
- Worked with major Italian brands: Bulgari Hotels, Enel, the Vatican…
- Mentored and hosted dozens of study-abroad students in my agency
- Exhibited my work at the US Embassy in Rome.
- Created and evolved through a pandemic by offering online creative workshops for adults and children. Italy was one of the earliest countries impacted,and it felt like a war zone!
- Became the President of the Italian chapter of Mount Holyoke’s Alumnae society.
- Been featured on Italian radio, magazines, and TV.
- Initiatives galore: Created the Iconics/Poetics series, launched a design line Clù, edited the Italian Journal magazine for 13 amazing issues; founded the Rome Photography Workshop and later Open City experiences…
- Worked with so many incredible small business and individuals – in the U.S. and in Rome. Most recently, Beacon Int’l – where I serve as the chief design officer.
- Embraced the city as a source of inspiration in my Maps of Time and Rome series
- Discovered my own version of Rome, and made a mini-site about it
- Became a mother! And then stage mother to my budding actor son
- Ongoing: balancing between being a Mother, Entrepreneur and Artist – serving my community and others with heart
Thank YOU for your support and friendship…